TRHS to DECA Nationals

Ricky Clements, Business Manager

March 11 marked the day that four TRHS students punched their tickets to the DECA National Competition on April 20 in Atlanta, Georgia. These four students competed in their category and finished on the top to make it to nationals. These individuals attending the International Career Development Competition include senior Izzy Taylor, Hospitality Professional Selling individual event, senior Xavier Kunz, Restaurant and Food Services individual event, and seniors Mitchell Leveck and Erin Taylor, team event Public Relations Project.

These students started at district competition and made it to state where they qualified for nationals. “Compared to both districts and state competitions, ICDC is on a whole new level. Everyone is always wearing their DECA trailblazers and are always looking and acting professional,” said advisor Scott Muffley. ICDC is where the top DECA students from all over the world meet and then compete. “ICDC was an amazing experience and there are literally no words to explain it. Being a part of the top 6% of marketing students in the world is an absolute honor, and it was cool to be surrounded by people who are just as passionate about DECA as you are,” said senior Erin Taylor. All four looked forward to competing at ICDC.

Each of the four did the best he/she could but ended up not getting on stage or getting any awards. “Mitchell and I had practiced a handful of times, and we were very confident heading in. We knew that we performed very well at state, but we had to step it up a little to get to the final round of presentations. However, Mitch and I did not make it to the final round, but I am very proud of us for even making it to nationals in the first place,” said Erin.

With ICDC being in Atlanta, Georgia, the four students, along with class advisor Mr. Muffley, got to enjoy many of the fun things the city had to offer. “We also played just as much as we worked. We got to explore all around the city of Atlanta and got to see lots of new things,” said Erin.