Saying Goodbye to TRHS Staff Members

Gigi Gioiosa, Senior Editor

As the 2017-2018 year comes to an end, not only are the seniors departing for a new future, but also a few staff members. Joel Moore, the choir teacher is heading off to a new, bigger school, Olivet College. Brooke Mulder, one of the science teachers is moving onto a different school as well, Kalamazoo Christian.

Most teachers usually plan to stay at their roots, and that’s what Mr. Moore had planned as well. “I really wasn’t looking to leave TRHS.  I have always had the desire to teach at the collegiate level, but choral directors generally need their doctorate degree to be considered.  The position at Olivet College opened up, and a colleague of mine who is friends with a music faculty professor from Olivet, mentioned it to me.  I decided to apply, but didn’t I think that I would be considered.  It was a long process, but they selected me for the position,” said Moore.

Moore hopes to set many goals for his new career as well. To be able to go from high school level to collegiate level is a big step, but Moore is prepared. “Much like my philosophy at Three Rivers High School, I hope to make great music and impact the lives of many people through the study and performance of music.  I also hope to give many high school students the opportunity to attend college through the scholarships that I will be able to distribute through Olivet College,” said Moore.

Although he will miss TRHS and all the talented students, we all wish him the best on his new journey. “I will definitely miss the students and the community members the most. I have been in the school district for 17 years so I feel very connected to the community, the families that I’ve come to know throughout the years, and our current students.  It will be difficult not to see everyone on a regular basis.  I am thankful for social media, so that I can keep in touch with everyone!” said Moore.