Boys Track Preview

Shania Shirk, Staff Writer

The TRHS boys track team this year consists of 34 different boys. They each have their own special roles on the team. Their season officially started March 13 and ends with the state finals June 2. In track one can participate in 17 different events, four relays, five field event throws and jumps, two hurdle races, and six other races between 100m-3200m. The boys already had their first meet on March 21 at Grand Valley State University.

Last year’s season went pretty well, but they are hoping to do a lot better this year. Last year the boys had a “League record of 5-4, finished sixth at the Wolverine Conference meet, had a regional finish of ninth place, and did not place at state finals,” said track coach Alex Schmidtendorff. Coach Schmidtendorff said he believes this season will be good. “Last year we were a young team and did not have a returning state qualifier.  This year we are still young, but are returning great experience in Traven VanOss and Dan Foura.  Both were state qualifiers in the 4X400m,” Schmidtendorff said. He said Tirrell Hausmanis placed 3rd in the conference last year in shot, and that he should be one of the top point scorers in the field events.  Bryce Kennedy placed 8th in the conference last year in pole vault and will be a strong scorer, along with Dewayne Johnson.

Other guys looking to have breakout seasons include freshmen Ethan Crooks and Gabriel Humbert who will be leading the hurdle group.  “Distance will be lead by Cole Appoloni and Nathan Ritchie.  Juniors Foura, VanOss, Logan Beirlien and Logan Borst, along with sophomore Jake Crocker, will make us very competitive in the sprints,” said Schmidtendorff. He said there are some guys out for track and field for the first time ever, looking to make an impact for the team. “One standout should be Ryan Mills who has shown to be an all-around great athlete,” he said.

The conference will be very competitive again this year. “While several great athletes graduated from teams, there are still a lot of quality athletes returning for every team.  Vicksburg and Otsego are both returning strong line-ups, and it’ll take a great effort for us to be able to compete for a conference title. Outside of those teams, I believe we are as good as anyone in the conference if we perform well,” said Schmidtendorff.

In the regional, Niles is returning an outstanding team, however it’s our goal to improve on their 9th place finish from last year.” We have a lot of sophomores and juniors who struggled last year in big meets but now have a year of experience behind them.  I believe we’ll have far better balance in our scoring this season,” said Schmidtendorff. Hausmanis is looking to be a state qualifier in both throws.  In addition, VanOss and Foura are looking to return to state in the 4X400 along with getting our 4×100 and 4×200 to state.  “Relay spots will be highly contested, and that will make everyone better as they compete for them,” he said. Coach Schmidtendorff is looking forward to what this season has to bring for the TRHS boys this season.