2018 Girls Track Preview

Gigi Gioiosa, Senior Editor

This year’s track season is upon us, and the girls are already working hard for the 2018 season. James Phillips is the girls’ track coach, and he’s been preparing the girls since February with indoor track and conditioning. They had their first invitational meet Thursday, March 22 at Grand Valley State University.

Phillips has a strong team this year with almost double from what they had the previous year. The rising stars for the 2018 season are sophomore Hadley Miller and junior Shelby Krawczak. Miller has shown her talent on varsity volleyball, basketball, and soccer for two years, and now varsity track for two as well. She competed in high jump, the 400, and the 1600-meter relay last year as a freshman and went to state for the 1600 relay. Krawczak has competed in varsity volleyball and track since her freshman year. Last track season she was involved in long jump, 400, 1600-meter relay, and the 800. She also attended the state meet last year.

The girls have set their goals for the season thanks to Phillip’s “Goal Sheet” he hands out every year in the beginning of the season. Miller, like the rest of the girls, is hoping to secure first place in the Wolverine Conference championship. Last year the girls came in third. She also hopes to “clear five feet in high jump and make it to state again for the 1600-meter relay.”

The girls’ team unfortunately lost a key component to the team this year. Senior Arionne Fowlkes has been a track star since her freshman year, qualifying for state each year. She has overcome injury after injury since her freshman year and was lucky enough to be able to finally attend the State meet her junior year and compete in the 60-meter dash and the 1600-meter relay. Her senior year she had an unfortunate last basketball season, tearing her ACL and not being able to finish out the season or compete in her final season of her favorite sport: track. “It sucks not being able to run this year because I’m not able to do what I signed up for,” said Fowlkes. Although it’s tough not being able to run her final year, Fowlkes was lucky to be able to sign with Wayne State University to run. “What I’m looking forward to the most about collegiate running is being able to get into better shape, getting faster, and learning more about sprinting,” said Fowlkes.

The girls competed well at the Grand Valley meet and brought home a few medals. Phillips hopes to secure a good spot in the Wolverine Conference and continue competing well throughout the season. They now prepare for their first conference meet Tuesday, March 27 at Dowagiac.