Why journalism is Important

Gigi Gioiosa, Senior Editor

Why journalism is Important

Thomas Jefferson wrote, “The basis of our government being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the ‘latter.” To get this point across shortly, journalism is important and needed in society, even though people may think otherwise.

Although journalism is thought of to only be portrayed through the news which can be considered boring, it’s important for people, especially teens to learn about it. The skills of researching, writing, interviewing, and thinking critically is an important skill to have. Senior Sam Mohney said, “Our school newspaper is important especially because it gives students opportunities to find out what’s going on.” Also, it’s an easy way to learn about current issues which is important for the younger community to get involved in to be able to make a difference in society.

Journalism gives a sense of trust… unless you’re Donald Trump. Sure, some information may be false, but for the most part, information is accurate. Just to be able to access information is the backbone of society and learning. Trump may not believe so, but it’s true.

Freedom of speech is what makes America different from other countries. Although we may have and will do some things to ruin our country, we still have the ability to speak out against it and make a difference. It’s almost comedic that our own President, who especially enjoys voicing his opinion, wants to take that away from others… but won’t that take away his right too?

Overall freedom without opinion isn’t freedom at all. Journalism is a way to dig deep and make a change. It’s a way to show light to everything that higher power authorities try to hide. We may live in the dark occasionally, but truth always finds a way out.