Quiz Bowl takes Second at County

Kaitlin Ritchie, Senior Editor

On Feb. 21, the TRHS quiz bowl team took second with 98 points at the county competition.  Sturgis took first with 106 points, and Centreville took third with 97 points.  The TRHS quiz bowl team that competed consisted of sophomore Russell Shutes; juniors Ryan Connelly, Luke Hoxie and Hunter Kimble; and seniors Martin Arums, Lars Lund and Kaitlin Ritchie.  Those who were not able to compete were senior Joe Embil and junior Jalen Heivilin.  The TRHS quiz bowl team is coached by Natalie Ullrey.

“I was a little disappointed since we took first place for the last years, but it was understandable; the questions we got weren’t our strengths,” said Ullrey.  That’s how quiz bowl works; however, not knowing which trivia to know is part of the challenge.

The quiz bowl team will be losing four members.  “It’s sad, but it’s always nice to get new people and new students to try quiz bowl,” said Ullrey.  Two of the four have been on the team since their freshman year.

Concerning next year, Ullrey plans to recruit more people with literature knowledge.  “It’s hard to prepare [because] it’s totally on the student and what they like to study,” said Ullrey.  The quiz bowl team will have four new members next year and will compete again at the county meet.  Good luck next year!