Season Update: Varsity Girls’ Basketball

Alaina Abnet, Junior Editor

The TR Ladycats have been on a smooth ride to districts with an overall record of 16-3. The girls’ varsity basketball team have been introduced to some challenging games, but the girls have shown a lot of heart on the court. Captains Tessa Hawkins and Hadley Miller have been role models to the team, continuously encouraging their teammates. The Ladycats play a fast paced game with the amount of speed the girls hold. The team has experienced unexpected injuries to key players Arionne Fowlkes, senior, and Aislyn Sternbergh, junior, early in the season. With a small team of nine girls, the Ladycats have not let that slow them down. Kali Heivilin, freshman, brought a new intensity with her strength against the boards. Heivilin said, “ I expect to win them all and go to state” on her expectation for the rest of the season. Heivilin’s favorite game is “… the win over Otsego” which the Ladycats won by 12 points.  Junior Erin Brady said, “ I look forward to districts and hopefully bringing back the title.” Brady also added, “This team has exceeded my expectations. I have had so much fun with them. There is never a dull moment with this team.” Senior Izzy Taylor said, “ I’m gonna miss my teammates the most when this season ends. I feel like we have all became best friends, and I love the overall atmosphere of our team.” The girls’ districts is hosted by Paw Paw where the Ladycats face Vicksburg Bulldogs for their district debut, Monday, Feb. 26. The Following Wednesday, Feb. 28, the Ladycats face Dowagic Chieftains. The final round of districts will be played March 2 in Paw Paw.