New Year, New You

Heaven Grochoske, Staff Writer

The new year is a time when you have another chance to fulfill a goal, wish, or personal desire. This is where New Year’s resolutions come in. Freshman Hayden Baker said most people start resolutions because they want to “make them feel better about themselves.” New Year’s resolutions are also associated with religious backgrounds such as the Babylonians making promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed things and pay off debts. The Romans also began each year by making promises to the god Janus. In modern day, resolutions are often set for your own benefit. Even though resolutions are known for not being completed, if you have enough passion for your goal, it’s just an opportunity to focus on yourself.

Most resolutions are based around improving yourself physically or mentally. Baker’s resolution was to, “practice and improve on playing my instrument.” Losing weight, eating healthy, laughing more, saving money- they’re all things that you do not actually need a resolution to accomplish. Although, the idea of a fresh start is reassuring in attempting to change a way of life. Setting goals gives you a long-term vision and short term motivation. It focuses your acquisition of knowledge, and helps you organize your time and your resources so that you can make the very most of your life.

Anyone can make a resolution for themselves, but the part that the majority of us need help with is keeping it. About 80% of resolutions fail by the second week of February. When making your goals, keep in mind this acronym S.M.A.R.T. Be specific, don’t make incomplete goals. Measure your progress. Your goals should be attainable. A resolution should be relevant to your life and something that is connected to your circumstances. A time frame for your resolutions helps organize and eventually keep up your resolution. Persevering when you make a mistake can not only help when trying to keep a resolution, but it is a skill everyone should obtain to be successful.