May the Course Be With You

Photo by Matt Stofer

Alaina Abnet, Junior Editor

With the fall comes a new beginning for sports, and cross country has been running toward the right direction. Girls’ cross country began August 1 this summer. The cross country team gained some fresh faces this season. Freshmen Kerrigan Borst, Madison Bowers, Karlie Burks, Mikayla Copley, Chloe Hewitt, and Natalie Kelley joined the team with a fresh new energy. Juniors Jessica Barnes, Erin Brady,  and Alexandria Deel also decided to join the cross country family. The returning senior cats are Nicole Ambs, Carissa Kelley, Stephanie McLochlin, Samantha Mohney,  Kaitlin Ritchie,  and Lily Solis. Following them is returning juniors Lauren Berneking and Gracie Bowers, and sophomore Kiara Kamptner. The ladies have put in hard work and are hoping to come out on top.

The team started off their season for 2017 at the Portage Early Bird Invitational. The Wildcats finished 10th overall with Carissa Kelley, Natalie Kelley, and Kaitlin Richie pitching in as their top three runners. Senior Kaitlin Ritchie is a 3- year runner and joined the team sophomore year, “… mainly to get in shape with soccer, but the team began to feel like family.” New runner Erin Brady joined the fall season, “…to get in shape for basketball.” Both Ritchie and Brady said the team began to feel like family, and that there are many opportunties during season to catch up and bond with their fellow Ladycat runners.

Varsity Coach Josh Bell has been coaching cross country since 2011. This year will be Bell’s 7th season as varsity head coach for TRHS. Coach Bell would like to see his runners, “…improve their running performance, or the time it takes them to run a race.” The Ladycats have been working since summer putting in an immense amount of work to reach improvement. Bell said, “This could be the best team finish in the Wolverine Conference in a while for us if we can get just a bit faster…” Bell said, “We need to improve in our conference.” The Ladycat runners have been working toward a better finish in the conference with their hard efforts. Bell has seen change in speed from his runners on their typical courses. The runners have been becoming faster as time moves on. The team, disappointed from last season’s finish with 7th place overall in conference, plans to push themselves this season to better themselves and the team. The team will be heading to Allegan next in hopes to improve from last year in their meet with the Allegan runners.