Michael Coffey

Katie Geans, Staff Writer

At TRHS there is a tradition of honoring those students who pay special attention to schoolwork and excellence. This group of students is known as Academic Elite. One of those 41 students this year is Michael Coffey. Coffey’s parents are Glenn Coffey and Danielle Kubasiak. He also has seven siblings, one of whom is his role model. Coffey said, “She’s [Lauryn] been with me through everything. Out of all of our siblings, we are the only ones with the same mom and dad. Also, she will be at Western with me next year.”

After Coffey has graduated, he hopes to major in computer science at Western Michigan University. “I had open heart surgery when I was younger, and because the technology was not as advanced, it took a long time. I want to help make it easier for the people who will be getting an open heart surgery in the future,” said Coffey.

Coffey’s favorite teachers were Mr. Kuiper, TRHS U.S. History teacher, because, “He brought the joy back in school. He made learning more fun,” and Mrs. Motz because, “she built a really strong relationship with us in yearbook, and it was like my family.”

Coffey’s favorite classes were AP computer science because “it is challenging but full of a lot of interesting stuff,” and any math class because “it was either easy, or I had fun trying to solve problems.”

While here at TRHS, Coffey has been a part of NHS, student council, yearbook, baseball, basketball, and track.

Coffey’s parting advice is, “Don’t procrastinate. It will just put more stress on you in the end. Graduate going easy and smooth during the last month.”