Why You Should Take Journalism

Angel German, Staff Writer

“Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph, and the signs of horror are still in the air” said Henry Anatole Grunwald. In today’s society journalism has become more important than ever. Fake news articles and websites are overflowing with readers. The sad truth is that most of the public has a difficult time distinguishing between these fake news stories and the real ones. When I decided to join journalism, I had no idea how important news was or how corrupt the media could be. Journalism is about more than just writing articles that people want to read; it is about unveiling the truth that we may not want to hear.

The number one reason that you should take journalism at Three Rivers High School is the relationships you develop with fellow journalists. In this class we discuss topics of all sorts ranging from the importance of media to whether or not pineapple goes on pizza (which it does, by the way). Anyone in this class has the freedom to openly discuss their opinions without being judged or ridiculed. Being able to speak freely (and appropriately, of course) is one of the many things that makes taking journalism fun.

Another reason that you should join journalism is that it looks good on your resumé. No matter what career field you pursue, it will always catch the eye of an employer to see that you have taken a class that helps you develop communication skills. Journalism also gives you a chance to improve your writing creativity. Learning to incorporate facts and quotes into your writing smoothly is a very useful skill to have in college.

Joining journalism will allow you to make a difference in the way the world sees news. Presenting the facts to the public is one way that America keeps the government from becoming too powerful. This freedom of speech also enables the people to be open and express themselves in ways that other countries are unable to. So when you are scheduling for classes next year be sure to check out journalism. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about what we do. Chances are, you will enjoy it.