A Season of Excitement

Katie Geans, Staff Writer

As the basketball season is coming to a close, the Three Rivers boys’ varsity basketball team, led by Coach Brian Burg, finished with the record of 14-8. The team consists of 13 players. Starting with seniors, they include Zavier Barth, Max Chapman, Carson Charvat, Michael Coffey, Sam Hawkins, Eric Johnson, Esden Stafne, Austin Wright, juniors: Jensin Blyly, Tirrell Hausmanis, Ashley Manansala, sophomores: Gavin Charvat, and Jalen Heivilin. Senior Carson Charvat said, “We did great this season, but we could’ve done better in some games.” Senior Eric Johnson said, “I feel like my team did well. I think we could have done better though, when things didn’t work out our way.” According to Coach Burg, Dowagiac, South Haven, and Paw Paw were their toughest opponents this season.

Coach Burg and his team competed on Thursday, March 2, in the Wolverine Conference against the South Haven Rams. Although they put up a great fight, down to the last second, the team lost 60-57. Coach Burg said, “I’m thinking more about that (what we could’ve done differently), we just need to make sure we win our division next year, and then we can compete for the conference title again.” Sophomore Gavin Charvat said, “We could have executed more and minimized mistakes.”

On Friday, March 10, they competed in Districts against the Edwardsburg Eddies at Vicksburg. The TR Wildcats won 61-57. On Saturday, March 11, they played against Paw Paw at Vicksburg and won 67-63, and ensured their spot in Regional Semifinals which took place March 13 at Allegan against Wayland. Unfortunately, the TR Wildcats lost, 67-44. Coach Burg said, “Next year I hope to win our division again, win conference, win districts, and win regionals.”

The TR Wildcats put up a great fight all the way to the end! Good Luck to Coach Burg and his team next year!