Robotics Club

Katie Tipton, Staff Writer

The robotics club at TRHS started their work in January of 2017 with the guidance of technology teacher, Phil Webb. This year is Webb’s fourth year of overseeing the robotics club here at TRHS. The overall goal of the club is to build a robot that will be able to participate and hopefully win the competition held in March every year, and the Three Rivers Robocats did just that. After months of preparation, the TRHS robotics club went to Battle Creek on March 3 and March 4 and won first place for the first time ever. They will be going on to compete at Richland High School on March 16 and 17.

On the club itself, Webb says that he thinks that it definitely helps students on an academic level. Webb said, “I think it for sure helps out with problem solving skills and teamwork… There’s a lot of math, physics, and science in this too, so it can help students who are struggling with that.”

This year is homeschooled senior Jarod Stephanoff’s fourth year in robotics. Stephanoff is responsible for the programming concerning the robot, and he said, “It’s definitely helped [me]. It gives me something physical to work with concerning math.” Stephanoff also went on to say that, “It’s my sport. Some kids have football, soccer, or track, but this is my sport.”

Other students shared similar sentiments. Kadin Kile, a sophomore in his first year of robotics, said, “I gained a better understanding of engineering.” Tiffanie Maust, also a sophomore and in her first year of robotics said, “I’ve gained a sense of teamwork and friendship from being here.”

The robotics club is definitely an interesting outlet for students who want to explore the world of engineering and robotics.