TRHS Wrestling Team

Katie Geans, Staff Writer

As the wrestling season comes to an end, the wrestlers are preparing for their final matches, and maybe even State. The wrestling team’s record score this year was accomplished at the Conference Meet, here at Three Rivers High School, with a score of 3-6. Coach Jeff Smith said, “Everything went pretty well this season. Everyone wrestled their best, however, not having a full lineup of wrestlers was one of the challenges we went through this year.” Chris Morrill and Tyler Moore, juniors, both achieved their 100th win this year: Chris on January 25 and Tyler on February 8. Morrill said, “It made me feel pretty good, however, I should have gotten it sooner. I hope to get 150 wins next season.” Moore said, “I feel really nice and proud; it was a big confidence booster.”
On Saturday, February 18, Moore and Morrill competed at Regionals in Eaton Rapids, Michigan. In order to make it on to State, they had to place in the top 4 of their region. Moore qualified for state, winning first place. Moore said, “It feels good coming out of regionals in first place. I’m proud of myself on how far I’ve come this year.” State will take place March 2, 3, and 4 at The Palace in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
As for next year, Coach Smith said, “I hope to have more participants sign up, and I hope to improve athletic ability.” So, make sure that you sign up for next year!