Helping Out

Kaitlin Ritchie, Junior Editor

NHS and the Aristocrats traveled to Pathfinder Educational Center on Tuesday, December 20 to help make Christmas decorations. The activities included going to separate classrooms to spend time with the kids, making Christmas ornaments and Christmas caroling. The year of 2016 marked the 34th year of NHS participating in Pathfinder.
“I was really looking forward to it because last year it was super fun. I think everyone should do it. [Just] being able to help [the kids] is a blessing,” said junior Lily Solis.
“It was a lot of fun; I really enjoyed doing arts and crafts with the kids,” said sophomore and Aristocrat member Ryan Connelly. Connelly also enjoyed meeting with all the people involved.
Pathfinders is a great opportunity to get involved with the community around the county. It gives students the opportunity to be exposed to different people. “I think it gives them a chance to see what selfless helping really looks like,” said NHS adviser and art teacher Ashley Eby. High schoolers tend to get so wrapped up in what is happening in their lives that they don’t notice what they can do to help someone else’s. Eby enjoyed being able to go from room to room seeing the students interact with each other, either playing games or doing crafts, but most importantly just seeing the students help others. “I think it’s a great holiday tradition, and I hope we can continue it in future years,” said Eby.