NHS Induction

Photo by Elena Meadows

Photo by Elena Meadows

Darian Cole, Staff Writer

Character, leadership, scholarship, and service are the four pillars that represent the National Honor Society. At TRHS the National Honor Society is held to an extreme honor, requiring a GPA of at least 3.65 to get a letter of one’s invitation to apply for NHS. With the addition of 35 new members, NHS is now a committee of 68 of some of TRHS’s finest students.

Junior Campbell Haradine was one of  the 35 students inducted in. She said, “I was really nervous to find out if I got into NHS, so when they gave me the letter saying I got in, I was super excited! NHS is such a high honor, and I’m grateful that I’ve been given the opportunity to be a part of such a prestigous group.”

Returning member Leah Crooks said, “The ceremony last year was simple and short. So this year we wanted to make it more elaborate and exciting. The inductees parents escorted them to their seats, and returning members gave NHS pins to the new members.”

The induction ceremony for the new members took place on November 6, in the PAC. Starting the ceremony out, senior and NHS president Anthony Fund gave a welcome speech. Next, senior Leah Crooks spoke about the history of NHS. Then returning NHS officers Olivia Guy (standing in for secretary Audrey Fenwick), treasurer Michael Cofffey, vice president Michael Hayes, and Fund gave speeches about the four pillars.

Each inductee was announced by NHS advider Mrs. Ashley Eby. Once they were announced, they lit a candle and received their pin from a returning member. All of the members then joined in saying the NHS pledge. They pledged to represent the four pillars daily and throughout the rest of their lives. To close the ceremony, TRHS principal Carrie Balk gave a speech of the qualities these students hold and gave them inspiration to go after their dreams.

Coffey said, “I’m looking forward to seeing what these new inductees will bring to NHS. They are all excellent students, and I know they will continue the legacy of NHS when we leave.”