Pink for Breast Cancer

Alexis Gamble, Staff Writer

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is an annual health campaign organized by charities every October to increase the awareness of the disease and raise money for research, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure. It is the second most common kind of cancer in women. About one in eight females born today in the United States will eventually get breast cancer. People participate in Breast Cancer Awareness Month by wearing pink or doing walkathons, among other events. The pink ribbon is also the symbol for breast cancer.

The Three Rivers High School volleyball team is participating in Breast Cancer Awareness Month. “We’re participating in the Dig Pink Classic at White Pigeon, and we’ll wear our pink jerseys in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month,” said junior GiGi Gioiosa. The TRHS football team is also showing support. “We are having a pink out game on October 20, and we will be selling t-shirts for $10 for all sports, band, and choir. All profits benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation,” said TRHS teacher Scott Muffley.

The community will also participate in a teterathon sponsored by DECA that lasts 24 hours on the day of the pink out game.  The proceeds from that will also go to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. “It’s a great event to bring the community together,” said Mr. Muffley.