Wesley Turner

Erin Taylor, Staff Writer

Wesley Turner, son of Alicia and Gary, and brother of Kayla is looking forward to attending Michigan State this fall once he graduates from Three Rivers High School with high honors. Turner is planning on taking on internships to help him obtain his degree in computer science and lead him into a long term career. “My favorite class in high school was physics because it was such a tough course, so it made me challenge myself, but the other students in the class made it fun,” said Turner. Mr. Vangiessen was Turner’s most influential teacher due to the fact that he had him for three years and he helped Turner grow his love for science.

While in school, Turner participated in both “soccer and track while also being part of Quiz Bowl, Science Olympiad, DECA, and NHS.” Turner’s older sister Kayla is his role model because his schedule and activities are similar to hers, and he also looks at how she handles certain situations to help him. In high school, Turner said he was “awarded with being an MHSAA scholar athlete, a Wolverine Conference Honorable Mention in soccer, and a district finalist and state qualifier in DECA.”

Turner’s proudest moment in high school was getting accepted to Michigan State because all of his hard work paid off. Something that he will never forget is that “you always have to be yourself because once you start straying away from who you really are, your life starts to change in ways that aren’t good.” Turner’s advice to underclassmen is to not be afraid to put yourself out there to experience things like clubs and sports because you’ll never know if you enjoy something unless you try.

The teachers from high school are who Turner will miss the most. “They were fun and pretty laid back most of the time, but they still made sure that we learned the material,” said Turner. From what Turner has said and accomplished, he seems prepared for college and all the new things he’s going to take on. There’s no doubt that he will succeed. Good luck Wesley!