Boys’ and Girls’ Varsity Basketball

Gigi Gioiosa, Junior Editor

Yet another season of basketball is upon us. The TRHS boys’ and girls’ varsity basketball teams prepared for their first games of the season. The girls’ team faced the Vicksburg Bulldogs on TR’s homecourt December 2. Boys played Niles Vikings at Niles High School December 6. The varsity girls fell to Vicksburg while the boys’ varsity came home with their first victory winning 74-72.
The girls’ varsity lost two seniors from last year. The returning three-year varsity player, junior Arionne Fowlkes tells about the upcoming season. “We’re really good, and we’ve become faster than we were before. A lot of teams don’t expect us to be as good as we are, but as of right now we’re sitting well in the conference,” said Fowlkes. The girls’ record is 2-1 as they wiped out Niles and South Haven. They put a beat-down on the South Haven Rams winning by over 30 points on TR’s homecourt.
The boys’ varsity has big shoes to fill after losing five seniors from last year. Claiming districts the year before, the team looks to improve their young line up. The team consists of eight seniors, three juniors, and two sophomores. The two sophomores, Jalen Heivilin and Gavin Charvat have already made a huge impact to this year’s team. Heivilin, a starter, has this to say about his contribution to the team. “Well, I play point guard which strengthens the team because I can score or pass whenever they need me to,” said Heivilin. Heivilin also wants the team to excel in their rankings this season. “My goal is to repeat winning districts and conference… maybe even win regionals.” The boys are doing well this season with a record of 2-0. Due to weather they have had to miss out on one home game facing rivals Edwardsburg Eddies.
The two teams have a long season ahead of them but the community of Three Rivers will come along for the ride. The student section always makes a big impact on the games, pumping up the parents and team. This year will make a lasting memory for the seniors leaving and the other classmen stepping up.