Matt Mayer

Neil Griffith, Staff Writer

Many of you may have noticed some of the new staff members at TRHS this year. One of the new members is Administrator of Academic Success, Matt Mayer. Some of us are left scratching our heads wondering what an Administrator for Academic Success does. According to Mayer “it’s just another way of saying ‘assistant principal.'” But instead of focusing on discipline, Mayer focuses more on supporting academics.

Born and raised in Kalamazoo, Mich, Mayer attended Western Michigan University and ran on the track and cross-country teams and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in education, with minors in math, science, and physical education. Mayer previously worked as a teacher in Marshall at the middle and elementary schools, and then later became a consultant, visiting schools, focusing on principals, curriculum directors, and teachers, focusing on their instruction following the Common Core standards.

Outside of working at TRHS, Mayer has two kids: James, 6 and Beatrice, 4. He enjoys, running, lifting weights, fantasy football and reading about education.

Inside of TRHS, Mayer loves working here. “It’s really fun,” said Mayer. “[I enjoy] getting to connect with students, staff, parents and the community.” Mayer’s favorite part of working at TRHS is the learning. “There is so much to learn about the administrative roles, and that’s fun because it’s a challenge.”