Jocelyn Wright Newman

Samantha Veltrie, Staff Writer

TRHS is welcoming a new guidance counselor.  Jocelyn Wright Newman, originally from the Grand Rapids area, received her bachelor’s degree from Emory University in Georgia and earned her master’s degree from Western.  Before coming to Three Rivers, she was the school counselor for Hopkins Middle School, a position which she had for nine years.  Prior to that Mrs. Wright Newman was an Academic Advisor and Admissions Representative at Davenport University. Adjusting to a new school can be difficult, but so far for Mrs.  Wright Newman, “People have been welcoming.  Teachers have been super nice and helpful… it’s been fun.”  She noted that the guidance staff have been fantastic and especially Mrs.  Howe and Mrs. Balk in helping her get settled.

Mrs.  Wright Newman hopes to achieve several goals this year, including “putting together a newer, revamped process for academic planning… The other big goal is just getting to know everybody.”  She remarked that the students at Three Rivers High School “seem very supportive of each other.  [TRHS] seems like a very welcoming place, a place where people are accepted for who they are.  And I think that’s really important.”  She explained her role as counselor as “helping students design a roadmap for their lives… helping students work through problems that come up while they’re in school, helping them have a plan for their classes and for learning what they need to learn while they’re in school, and for what they want to do when they’re done with school.”

Mrs.  Wright Newman and her husband of eight years Matt have two children: Zoe, 6, and Max, 2 and a 16- year-old dog named Emma. Outside of school she enjoys reading, jogging and playing with her kids.   Her favorite part of her job is getting to know the students, and she is especially excited to be working with high schoolers this year.